Thursday, December 12, 2013

French for Kids: Dedans et Dehors DVD Review

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.


Bonjour tous le monde! 

As some of you may know, I was born and raised in France and therefore I am bilingual in French and English.  I've always appreciated the benefits of being bilingual, but I've found it much more difficult to teach my kids than I had expected.  With my husband only speaking English, I find myself speaking English at home as well.

I always look for ways to introduce French into our home.  My kids hear French spoken often, as I speak it with my family, but it is definitely not enough for them to be fluent. 

We listen to French music in car, and I've tried DVDs before, but I've usually found myself disappointed with them as the characters often have strong foreign accents. 

I was very interested in trying the new French for Kids: Dedans et Dehors (inside and Out) by Whistlefritz

Here's a little bit about the DVD from the company:

Fritzi’s in the house!  But où est Fritzi?  Finding the mischievous mouse Fritzi is just part of the fun in this lively language learning program from Whistlefritz, the award-winning producers of the Spanish for Kids series of DVDs and CDs.  This French immersion DVD welcomes you to Fritzi’s house, where up or down, inside or out, there is lots to learn and plenty to do.  Explore every area of Fritzi’s house, from la chambre (the bedroom) and la salle de bain (the bathroom) to le salon (the living room) and la cuisine (the kitchen).  An engaging interactive format teaches children basic greetings, positional words, food, daily activities, numbers, and more.  But that’s not all! Nous allons chanter et danser!  (We’re going to sing and dance!)  This DVD will have children on their feet dancing along to upbeat rhythms.  Dedans et Dehors is an engaging blend of colorful backgrounds, charming animation and live-action that kids will want to revisit again and again.  This DVD includes an easy-to-use translation guide for parents and teachers, who are first time learners of French, as well as French subtitles.  Designed for children ages 2-7, Dedans et Dehors is fun for all ages!

 

 My kids were very excited to watch it.  From the beginning, the DVD captured their attention.  I loved that it uses the immersion method which does not translate what is said, but it shows examples and repeats words often enough to be able to understand what is said.

 
The DVD teaches a broad range of terms, from counting to positional words, to foods, and many more.  My kids favorite parts are the songs, and the ability to stand up and dance along with the kids in the DVD.

The music was very catchy, and the video that went along with the song made it very easy to understand what was being said.

I was very pleased to hear native French speaking in the DVD.  I thought the quality was very professional. 

This DVD is great for any family looking to introduce a new language in their home.  It's full of bright colors, and fun music that will captivate children's attention the whole time.

The DVD is about 35 minutes long which is perfect for young kids who tend to get distracted after a while. 

Recommended for ages: 2-7
Retails for $19.99

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment